Thursday, February 11, 2010

superfood

So I have been staring at the ripe (now overripe) avocado on my windowsill. I always do that. I have a craving for avocados, buy 5 of them and move onto my next food endeavor, my next plan as I wait for them to ripen, and then eventually shrivel up. So I have finally caught on, and buy 1 at a time. I have been very determined to break this cycle, as it makes me crazy to waste them. Avocados have been called a new superfood. They contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Phytonutrients are believed to help prevent many chronic diseases. Among many of their wonderful health benefits, avocados have been shown to improve cholesterol and are high in lutein (which is beneficial to the eyes) and potassium. And, above all else, they are digested well and ease the digestive system. Bound and determined, I refused to toss this in the trash! So, I toasted leftover panella bread from dinner last night, shaved some sharp cheddar on top and broiled it. I arranged the sliced avocado on the cheese toast and had the most delicious sandwich for lunch today! Mission accomplished

No comments:

Post a Comment